The buddy beacon allows you to share your location with other people. They can see your position, and tweets, by entering your user name and your PIN number on a web page or on a handset running ViewRanger. You can send your location once, or can send it repeatedly. Likewise you can choose to locate either an individual or a list of people once, or can check their location repeatedly.
Locate on web site
To locate beacons on the web site www.viewranger.com/buddybeacon just add the buddy.
To change the refresh interval when viewing at the web site click on the green clock symbol in the very bottom left of the www.viewranger.com/buddybeacon window.
You can also set your Timezone from the dropdown then refresh the page.
Beacons and trackers are controlled from Plus "+" button, BuddyBeacon menu. The menu contains these additional items that relate to watch\track:
- Watch/track enters watching mode, where Viewranger will regularly poll for the server for the latest position of the selected buddy.
- Locate now requests a one-time update of a buddies position.
To locate an individual buddy.
You can also locate an individual buddy by going to the buddy list, highlighting the buddy, then long press and choosing 'Locate now'.
Note: Locate Now option does not require Watch/track to be switched on.
Watch / track
To watch an individual buddy and track it over time. You will be shown a list of buddies and trackers to choose from. It includes an item to add a new buddy or tracker. You will be asked to choose the interval to report on the beacon locations.
You can also watch a list of buddies by going to the buddy list, highlighting the buddy, then long press and choosing Watch/track.
You can use the Options, BuddyBeacon, Stop watch / track to stop the interval reporting for the location.
Note: if the located buddy is outside the bounds of the active coordinate/country system, ViewRanger does not change to show that country - you need to do that yourself using the Organizer's Maps list.
Buddy select list
Selecting any beacon control option will prompt you to select the buddy you wish to watch, Locate or Navigate to.
- If there are no buddies, you will be prompted to add one.
- Or, you can select Add buddy or tracker to do this manually. You will need the username (case sensitive) and PIN for the buddy in order to successfully request positions.
View Buddy on Map
Buddies are displayed on the map using the selected icon.
- The selection text shows the buddies location and the time of the most recent position update.
- A trail of recent positions may also be shown.
If you tap on a buddy from the Map view, you will see the Buddy context menu.
- Standard options for viewing or editing details, entering watch mode, polling for a position now, etc.
- Edit gives you the option to change the Buddy's icon or PIN - use this if your Buddy changes there PIN to re-establish access to their positions.
- Navigate to buddy/tracker will enter Navigation mode for the selected buddy, as well as entering Watch/track mode for that buddy.
To access the Buddy Beacon list view, tap the menu tab (in green bar), BuddyBeacon..
- If ViewRanger has a position for a buddy, it will show the time of the most recent position.
- Buddy positions are not remembered after exiting Viewranger.
- Tap on a Buddy to view the Buddy context menu. The options here are similar to the Buddy context menu from the map screen.
- The check-boxes indicate which Buddies will be included in watch mode. From this screen, multiple buddies can be selected for watching.
- Press New / Plus button (Options button in old software), BuddyBeacon, Watch/track or Locate now to enter watch mode or locate your selected buddies.