Wear OS Watch
How to install ViewRanger app on your Wear OS device
Ensure the firmware on your watch is up to date.
Install the latest "Wear OS" app onto your Android phone or iPhone from your app store. This allows the watch to utilize resources on the mobile device, such as GPS and wifi, to limit the battery drain on the watch.
Connect the watch to your Android phone or iPhone using the "Wear OS" app.
Now download the ViewRanger app directly from the Google "Play Store" on the watch.
Please contact our support if you have a Wear OS 1.5 Watch for install instructions. We no longer support Wear OS 1.0
You must have a ViewRanger account to use the app on the watch:
- If the watch is connected to an Android phone, if not already done so, the watch will ask you to log in or create an account on the phone.
- If the watch is connected to an iPhone, if not already done so, log in or create an account on the iPhone. Then sign in with that same account on the watch.
- If the watch is not connected to a mobile device and you don't have an account choose "Sign in with Google".
You can swipe between screens in the ViewRanger app on the watch:
Routes are a plan of your trip. The watch will navigate you along the route.
On the routes screen you can find the routes you have recently opened in the ViewRanger app on your mobile device, find route near to where you are now, or access a collection of routes selected just for you. You can also find your downloaded routes and follow or delete them from the watch.
If your watch does not have a GPS chip you will not see any routes as you can't navigate without it.
Record track screen
A track is a recording of where you traveled. It contains statistics like length, speed and elevation.
On this screen you can start track record on the Android phone.
If you are an iPhone user, this screen will not appear. Start the track record on the iPhone instead.
If you have a Casio Pro Trek watch, a second button on this screen will allow you to record a track on the watch itself. This exclusive feature is only on Casio ProTreck watches. We recommend you record the track on the Android phone or iPhone, with its large battery, so you save on battery on the watch. Once you finish track record, the track is uploaded to our server, if you are online. If not online, when you are back online, you must must close the app and re-open it before the track will be uploaded. To close the app go into settings, Apps & Notifications, App Info, tap ViewRanger, Force stop.
On this screen you can view your location on a map, swap map layers and download a map for offline use. Initially, the watch must be connected and online to view maps but they can be saved for offline use.
See your current position and elevation.
If you have an Android phone the coordinate format and unit of measure is taken from the ViewRanger app on the phone.
If you have an iPhone the coordinate type defaults to decimal and the unit of measure is taken from the iPhone regional settings.
If stand alone, the coordinate type defaults to decimal and the unit of measure is taken from the watch regional settings.
Here you can remove downloaded maps from the watch.
Pull the navigation menu down from the top of the screen to access shortcuts to different screens in the app.
On the watch face access the notifications to cancel route and map downloads.
Swipe through to the map screen on the watch to display your position on the map.
Initially, the watch must be connected and online to view maps but they can be saved for offline use.
- To zoom and pan maps, tap once on screen.
- Use finger to pan, zoom or scroll as needed. Or, use top and bottom buttons on watch to zoom in and out.
- Tap again to center map on your GPS location.
- To change map type, select Map Layers. Select map type. You will see how the maps types you own and are compatible with the watch.
Map Layers and Downloading Maps
The Map Layers button on the map screen on the watch lets you select different maps to show and download the selected map for offline use.
How to save offline maps
- Tap Map Layers button. Select map type you want to save.
- Tap Map Layer again. Select Download.
- Scroll, pan, zoom to the offline map area you want to download. Select Save.
- These selected maps are now saved onto your watch for offline use.
When you add a route to the watch it also adds the maps to the watch too.
Routes (in more detail)
More than 150,000 ViewRanger routes worldwide – plus any routes you've created – are available to follow with Wear OS. You can either stream routes directly from your Android phone to your watch, or add them to your watch and follow them without using your phone. When you stream routes you are using the resources on the phone for GPS and recording a track - we recommend this method as it increases battery life and the GPS is generally more accurate. When you add a route to the watch you are using all the resources on the watch and can't record a track - we recommend you use this method only if you really really want to leave your phone behind.
If you have your Android phone and watch in close proximity, as soon as you start following a route on your phone it will be activated on your watch. The map that's open on your phone will be visible on your Watch. Plus, view live trip stats including GPS position, altitude, distance traveled and trip duration.
Routes can be added directly on the watch (but only if the watch has a GPS chip).
From the watch:
- Launch ViewRanger app on watch
- Go to Routes screen. Watch needs a WiFi or data connection to show unsaved Routes.
- Select Recents shows routes you have recently reviewed, downloaded, or created.
- Select Nearby to see routes within 1.5 kilometers or 1 mile of your current location.
- Select Downloaded for a list of route guides saved on the watch.
From the Android phone:
- Launch ViewRanger app on Android smartphone.
- Find and download route guide onto phone.
- Launch ViewRanger app on watch.
- On your phone, tap Add to watch button. The ViewRanger app sends route guide (and optional offline maps) to watch.
- Once download, the route guide and maps are saved on the watch.
- Any routes saved on your watch are listed on the Routes page under Downloaded. Now, you can explore without a phone or data connection.
From the iPhone:
- Launch ViewRanger app on iPhone.
- Find, then view or download your route guide.
- Launch ViewRanger on watch.
- Swipe to Routes screen on watch. Select Recents. Recents shows routes you have recently viewed, downloaded, or created in your ViewRanger account. Note: Your watch needs to be connected to Wifi or your phone to download route and offline maps.
- Under Recents, select the route to download.
- Once downloaded, the route guide and offline maps are saved on the watch. Any routes saved on your watch are listed on the Routes page under Downloaded. Now, you can explore without a phone or data connection.
If an update is made to a route, the route must be deleted from the watch and download again before the update is seen.
On the Routes screen tap "Downloaded". Long press the route to remove from watch.
Navigating a Route on the Watch
When you start a route, on the watch or on the phone, keep the app on the watch in foreground while navigating for better experience. If you receive a message that pushes the app into background, open the watch app again to hear the alarms again.
Advanced / Troubleshooting
- The GPS altitude on Wear OS 1.5 is the raw wgs84 altitude, while on Android Wear 2.0 we correct it - so it is better to be using 2.0.
- A watch needs to have GPS chip to allow you to add a route to it for stand alone navigation. That's the only requirement. A compass is not required on the watch; both for Wear OS 1.5 and 2.0
- The navigation arrow function will not work on a watch that has no compass sensor when following a route.
- We recommend you use a smart watch that is made for the outdoors to ensure it has a good battery and a power efficient GPS chip. Some watches are designed for short burst fitness sessions only and may not be suitable.
- When tethered and swapping maps on the phone it can take over 60 seconds to refresh the map on the watch.
- On the watch settings ensure location is on and battery saver is off.
- iOS devices must set the location permission for the "Wear OS" app to "Always".
- If your watch face support complications you can add ViewRanger complications to your watch.
- Unsure of what ViewRanger account the watch is using? Swipe to the last settings screen. If it says "logout" then you are using an email or gmail account on the watch, otherwise, you are using what the app is signed in with on the Android device.
- Ensure you are running ViewRanger 9.2.82 or above.
- Known issue (which we will be fixing soon): If you have a GPS watch without barometer alarms will not sound.
- We dot not support Samsung / Tizen watches.
- If you wish to force the watch to use its own GPS chip, rather than the Android phone, turn off Bluetooth.
- Heart rate recording is an exclusive feature to the Casio Pro Treck F21 Smart Watch. For best results, turn off Bluetooth on the watch to force the watch to use its own GPS chip.
- The watch will always use imperial units in these placesUK , US , Virgin islands, Cayman islands, Liberia, Burma/Myanmar. Everywhere else, metric.